It’s hard to beat the appeal of a Polaroid camera, whether it’s the older style or modern instant film cameras. Being able to print pictures right away is something that makes the picture-taking process much easier and makes it much more convenient to print and keep your important memories.
One thing that people who are interested in these kinds of cameras may worry about is the cost of the film. Because they are essentially a camera and small printer in one device, it’s a fair question to ask. There are a number of factors that can also play a role in the cost. Let’s take a look.
Modern Polaroid Cameras
These days, there are several camera brands that offer what’s known as “instant film” cameras. These cameras take pictures like a normal camera but are also able to print out the picture pretty much instantly. This can make them an ideal choice for both film and digital cameras.
Furthermore, there are multiple types of these cameras. From different brands to different sizes, as well as those that can print on multicolored film. With so many options, it can really help to know what kind of prices to expect, that way you’ll have an easier time choosing an instant-film camera if you don’t already have one.
Generally speaking, standard color film options for an instant-film camera in the average size don’t vary too terribly. For the most part, these options can range anywhere from $10 to $20 depending on the kind of film you’re looking for.
As an example, if you’re looking for a film for something like the Polaroid Original 9003, basic color and black and white film options can be found for around $15 each. However, if you want something with more vibrancy or in specific color options like blue or pink can be closer to the $20 range.
Prices can differ a little bit for mini camera options. It’s also important to keep in mind that not all instant cameras these days are made by the Polaroid brand. For example, one of the most popular mini instant-film cameras are the Instax Mini options available from Fujifilm.
For something like Fujifilm Instax Mini 9, the film tends to be under $15 for a twin pack that offers you 20 sheets to print out the pictures on. Naturally, that low cost is for standard, white film that presents a more basic option.
If you’re looking for more pop to your pictures, you can get a pack of rainbow film for under $8 per pack, which isn’t all that much more than the white film option. There are also various other types of packs like a holiday pack or black and white options that will vary in price a little bit. This is going to be important to keep in mind if you’re looking to get the most creative pictures possible.
Older Polaroid Cameras
Finding film for older Polaroid cameras can be more difficult because those cameras aren’t used nearly as often as they used to be, and the newer films just aren’t designed to work exactly the same way. However, if you’re an avid collector or user then you may be able to find what you need online through sites like eBay.
These avenues will be more likely to have abnormal products like old film, but keep in mind that because it’s less readily available, it may also cost more. In some cases, it might be worthwhile to upgrade your device.
The Benefits of An Instant-Film Camera
Instant film cameras offer a lot of benefits that people may not realize. Here are some that may show you what one of these devices can do for you:
- Instant-film cameras offer you the ability to instantly print your photos. What that means is that if someone wants a copy, you can get it to them right on the spot rather than making them wait until you can get more
- Some of these cameras offer a film that is adhesive-backed, which means you’ll be able to use those photos to decorate or get them added to a photo album more easily.
- The wide variety of film colors allows you to get brighter, more creative pictures. In some cases, you can even get stickers and other décor items to spruce them up even more
- You won’t have to worry about the need to get the film developed or trying to print your digital pictures at home
- For the most part, instant-film cameras are quite inexpensive. You can also get them in bundles that include a case, extra film and sometimes even more than that. They also tend to be highly compact and travel-friendly.
The Downfalls of An Instant-Film Camera
If you’re interested in upgrading your old Polaroid or getting an instant-film camera for the first time, there are some potential downfalls that are important to keep in mind as well:
- The film options for these cameras can be more expensive than other options, especially if you take a lot of pictures
- Some of the more common models can take smaller pictures, which means you may get less detail
- There can be instances where some customers aren’t a fan of the picture quality offered by these devices, so make sure to check reviews and see if you can get an idea of what to expect.
Instant-film cameras are a fantastic option, and there are a lot of newer models that have a lot to offer over the old Polaroids many of us used to know. In many cases, the film for these cameras can range from under $10 for a single pack to the $20 range.
Keep in mind that these prices vary based on the camera model you have, what size the film is and whether you’re okay with a basic white frame or want something with a colored frame. Have fun, and happy shopping!