The INSTAX Mini 90 Neo Classic is a beautifully designed instant film camera at an affordable price. Packed with features, this little camera combines quality and style with an appropriate retro design. The black leather casing is a nice finishing touch.
This is an instant film camera that uses self-developing film to instantly create a chemically developed print that is ejected from the camera after the shot is taken. Fujifilm is one of the few manufacturers still making these easy to use instant cameras and film.
This camera is designed to be used with Fujifilm INSTAX Mini Instant Film. The film comes in 2 packs which have 10 pictures each, allowing you to instantly print up to 20 credit card sized 2.1″ x 3.4″ photos. With a 1.8″ x 2.4″ image area, this film is ideal for snapshots, portraits, and documentation purposes.
The film speed is ISO 800 and is formulated with direct positive sigma crystal emulsion technology to create crisp images. This provides enhanced grain quality when shooting in daylight and electronic flash conditions.
Thin-film technology helps the images develop quickly. Emulsion, development-accelerators, and development-control technologies help create long-lasting photos.
Added benefits of this Fujifilm technology include:
- 41° – 104° temperature range, allowing you to capture images in a variety of conditions
- Notation area located below the image for jotting down names, dates, and other information
- Glossy finish
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”500″ identifier=”B00FR85IRK” locale=”US” src=”https://filmcameraexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Instax-Mini-90.jpg” tag=”filmcameraexp-20″ width=”500″]
The INSTAX Mini 90 Neo Classic provides many features such as setting aperture and shutter speed more accurately. It automatically detects the brightness of your surroundings and adjusts the amount of flash and shutter speed to allow the correct amount of light. This optimizes the exposure and eliminates the need for a light meter.
You can easily switch modes and functions while looking through the viewfinder. The INSTAX Mini 90 has a variety of shooting modes that allow you to create truly unique images:
- Double Exposure Mode takes 2 images and merges them into 1 picture when you press the shutter twice (tripod recommended)
- Bulb Mode holds the shutter open for up to 10 seconds while the shutter button is depressed, good for low light situations (tripod recommended)
- Macro Mode is used for close-up photography allowing you to get a crisp picture as close as 30-60cm
- Kids Mode uses a fast shutter speed and works well for photographing fast-moving subjects such as kids, pets, and sporting events
- Party Mode enables the background as well as the subject to be captured in full light
The tripod socket mount enables the INSTAX Mini 90 to be attached to a tripod giving it stability which is especially important when using the double exposure or bulb mode.
Another important feature is the location of the power switch which is close to the shutter button, making it easy to switch the camera on and take a picture quickly.
This is a great instant camera for the price and online reviews for the Instax Mini 90 have been very favorable. Users gave this camera high ratings for:
- Quality pictures
- Uses long lasting lithium batteries that can easily be found online
- Small size and light weight of the camera and film cartridges make it very portable
- No need to pay for or wait to have film developed
- Affordable film
- Good flash for night photography
- Menu and settings are easy to understand and use
- Good for craft projects such as scrap booking
- Increased privacy because there is no digital footprint left behind and no one is needed to develop the film
- Good test shot camera if you need to test lighting for professional photo shoots
In addition to this, the camera is very fun and easy to use. It comes with detailed instructions to help you understand the different settings and functions.
While users give this camera high ratings for picture quality, it does take some practice with different lighting and settings to get a high-quality image. This experimentation can be expensive when you are practicing with real films.
Additional necessary improvements for the camera include:
- Its inability to produce sharp extreme close-up photos
- Some users reported that the viewfinder is not accurate
- The LED flash is not bright enough to take clear photos under low light conditions
- Changing modes is cumbersome since you need to press a button and then turn a dial
The INSTAX Mini 90 is often compared to the Polaroid z2300. Both are mini instant film cameras that are compact and portable.
The Polaroid z2300 is for those who are set on digital but want the nostalgia style and look of an instant film. This camera has additional features that make it more like a traditional digital camera. It stores digital copies of pictures, has an LCD viewing screen, and can even record video. This is the better choice if you want to check your pictures before printing and you like to make multiple copies. One unique feature with this camera is the option to print your images as stickers.
The INSTAX Mini 90 is more retro with features closer to an older traditional film camera. This includes its viewfinder and the location of the shutter in the front instead of on top. This is the winner if you want an instant camera that will allow you to infuse your photography with creativity using its various modes. It is also better for those on a tight budget because both the camera and the film are cheaper than the Polaroid z2300.
There is a lot to love about this little instant film camera. It looks great with its retro style, plus its compact and portable. Instant film cameras provide a bit of nostalgia while giving users the opportunity to experiment with a unique photographic medium that is rarely seen today. This camera will set you apart from other photographers by giving you a multitude of unique features to create one-of-a-kind photographs.
If you are looking for a fun camera with multiple features to allow you to take creative pictures, this camera is for you.